Beanless Paleo Chili
Coach Steph is on a chili kick! So here is a simple recipe that you can easily stick in a crockpot and enjoy! (Coach Steph’s tip: add a couple fried eggs over top! It’s delicious!)
- 3 quarts (2.8 liters) good quality canned tomatoes
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over a medium heat, cook the ground beef with some cooking fat if needed.
- In a very large saucepan over a medium heat, saute the garlic in olive oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms to the saucepan. Stir well and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the canned tomatoes, followed by the cooked ground beef. Stir well.
- Drop in the bay leaves, thyme and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 4 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding salt or pepper, if needed and remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Be sure to check out the full post from Paleo Leap!