Blueberry Maple BBQ Chicken
Who is ready for some grilling this weekend?! Take this weekend to try some delicious new recipes! Here’s a great one from PaleOMG!
For the chicken:
- 2 lbs chicken, I used tenders but whatev
- 3 tablespoons bbq rub (I used Cowboy BBQ rub from Sunflower Market)
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the BBQ sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons fat, I used olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bbq rub
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Let’s get this saucy sauce going. Melt the fat in large saucepan/skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until the onions become translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, blueberries, maple syrup, coconut aminos, bbq rub, and red pepper flakes; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar; and add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat your grill and start preparing your chicken
- Grab a large shallow bowl out and throw your chicken seasonings in it. Then heavily cover your chicken in the seasonings. If you need more, add more. Just make sure the chicken will have a real kick to it. Don’t be scrrred.
- Now grab a small bowl and put 1-1.5 cups of your blueberry bbq sauce in it and grab a brush to rub the sauce on your chicken. Not a hair brush. If you don’t have a brush, you can just use a spoon to top some of the sauce on your chicken with.
- Place the chicken on the grill and brush some of the sauce on the tops of the chicken tenders. Turn the chicken over when the edges begin to whiten and the chicken puffs up a bit. Puffy chicken, yum.
- Let the chicken sit for about 5 minutes once it is off the grill and top the chicken pieces off with lots of bbq sauce.