Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Looking for a quick and easy spicy dish?! Stuffed peppers are always a winner for food prepping and on the go!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 pounds ground uncooked chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons Mexican Seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 medium red, yellow, and/or orange sweet peppers
- Lime wedges
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and chile; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add ground chicken; cook until no longer pink. Sprinkle with Mexican Seasoning; stir well. Stir in undrained tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in ¼ cup of the cilantro.
Meanwhile, cut sweet peppers in half vertically (from stems to bottoms). Remove and discard stems, seeds, and membranes. In a large pot blanch peppers in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender; drain. Fill peppers with chicken mixture.
For each serving, arrange 2 pepper halves on a plate. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
MEXICAN SEASONING INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon preservative-free granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground saffron
Be sure to check out more recipes from the founder of the Paleo diet movement, Loren Cordain, PH.D at The Paleo Diet!