Front Squat | Olympic Weightlifting | Reno Barbell Club
The front squat is a foundational squatting movement and though seemingly simple is quite complex in the mechanism of the movement. Here’s how to perform it properly:
1. Start with the bar on the top of your shoulders. Always be driving your elbows up.
2. Keep your weight centered. Not on your toes and not in your heels.
3. Initiate the squat by sitting straight down. Do not push your butt back to initiate the movement.
4. Squat down while maintaining upward pressure on your elbows.
5. Keep your knees neutral as you squat. Do not drive them out and do not let them cave in. Keep the knees in line with the toes.